Monday, June 25, 2007

The Tent

So I bought a pretty sweet tent yesterday, a tent noble enough that barring any unforeseen disaster will be my tent during the Big Hike. BEHOLD!

Ok ok it's not the most special tent in the entire world, but it has some hot features. First of all it's one of the lightest two-person tents I've ever seen, weighing in at a stingy 2.8kg. Since the pegs and poles come in separate carrying sacs that fit neatly into the main sac, you can split the weight by removing the poles. It is quite spacious and fits two people roughly 190cm comfortably (I'm 180cm) with little gear inside. A cleverly shaped trapezoidal vestibule shelters boots and bags. While it's not self-standing it keeps a low profile and won't rattle much in windy conditions. I bought an extra groundsheet/footprint to add an extra degree of protection underneath.

The cons? The low profile is good for bad weather conditions but doesn't offer too much room to move around, and you certainly couldn't stand up in it. Two person tents will be a great option for hikers but we will need an additional tarp-like shelter for the group to be a communal focal point on very rainy days.

I also bought a sleeping bag and a funky pocket LED flashlight/lantern, but these are less exciting than the tent. Of note is the sleeping bag's electric orange colour, which means I can be seen from Greece.

No comments: