Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Getting in Shape

I walked home from Dominion Avenue transitway stop, a total of 10.5km. I went at a steady pace - roughly 5km/h - listening to Roma fiddle music. This wasn't really all that long a walk, but was an accomplishment nonetheless. Why? When I reached home I realized that I wasn't particularly sore nor tired, and probably could push on another ten kilometers had I had time, patience and liquids. Even today I'm fine and relaxed, not an ache to be felt. Basically it was an accomplishment because I've reached the point where a 10.5km was no sweat off my back.

I had already gotten into the swing of things before this idea popped in my head. Unhappy with the shape I was in, a few months ago I had decided to significantly increase the amount of exercise I was doing. The hike therefore came at a time when exercise was already moving into the realm of the habitual. I had a (now working) exercise bike for days with inclement weather, and live near two significant NCC forest trails that I make use of when weather and time allow. I can't stand gyms, so I decided simply to exercise and practice the actual activity I will be undertaking.

As the summer progresses I'll head up to Gatineau Park and do some long trail loops up rugged terrain, eventually doing so encumbered with weight to fully simulate the experience of the Big Hike. So it might not take me a year to get in shape after all!

No comments: